Doctors across the world are turning towards stereotactic body radiosurgery (SBRT) for non-invasive treatment of both cancerous and non-cancerous conditions
A versatile machine, Novalis Tx renders precise, non-invasive treatment for a large number of indications, including cancer, and tumours of the brain, spine, lung, and liver.
It represents a new standard in imageguided radiosurgery featuring advanced technologies that treat targeted lesions while protecting the surrounding healthy tissue. It also offers one of the fastest treatments in radiosurgery—in minutes, not hours, per session. Novalis Tx incorporates a powerful linear accelerator that rotates around the patient to deliver treatment beams
anywhere in the body, from virtually every angle. A set of sophisticated image-guidance and motion management tools provide clinicians with detailed information about the shape, size and position of the targeted lesion/tumor; guide patient set-up and positioning; and monitor motion during treatment.
A high-definition multi-leaf collimator, a beam shaping device, ensures that the treatment beam matches the shape of the tumor from every angle while the linac rotates.
Novalix Tx offers significant advantages overconventional methods of stereotactic radiosurgery. Other radiosurgery devices utilise circular beams for treatment. As most lesions are irregular in shape, a circular dose does not completely cover the exact shape of the tumor. Novalis Tx shapes the radiation beam to contour the exact shape of the tumor or lesion, ensuring delivery of optimal treatment dose and protection of healthy tissue. The targeted beam adapts to the patient’s breathing and other body movements to continuously maintain safe, complete and accurate dosage.
Novalis Tx offers a full spectrum of treatment benefits:
- The 2.5 mm HD120® high-definition multileaf collimator offers ultra-fine beam-shaping capabilities. HD120 shapes the radiation beam to match the exact contour of the tumor/ lesion ensuring that maximum prescribed dose of high energy radiation is delivered to the entire tumor.
- Protects surrounding healthy tissue.
- Adapts the treatment beam to breathing and other body movements to continuously maintain safe, complete and accurate dose delivery.
- Non-invasive, outpatient procedure lasts just 15-20 minutes, and not hours, for a more comfortable and less restricted treatment experience than other radiosurgery devices.
- Reduces the likelihood of patient or tumor movements, ensuring highest possible level of treatment accuracy.
- Treatment can take place in a single day, although a doctor will decide if treatment should be administered in a single dose or in a series of doses.
- Offers frameless and frame-based treatment of cranial indications, as well as extra-cranial treatment of spine, lung, liver and prostate lesions.
In addition to its multiple imaging capabilities, the Novalis Tx platform incorporates many special features designed to increase its effectiveness, efficiency and versatility. These include:
- Real-time Snap Verification of patient positioning to confirm that the lesion is in the right position during treatment.
- Correlation between internal and external fiducial markers, and not
- relying on less-accurate optical tracking of external markers.
- Non-coplanar and coplanar imaging. kV imaging, which yields high-quality images at low X-ray doses.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital has acquired Novalis Tx and has used it to conduct several successful surgeries. The hospital is excited by the continued adoption of Novalis Tx and the positive response it’s eliciting from the clinical community and patients.
Stereotactic radiosurgery is a procedure that can precisely deliver large radiation doses to tumors/lesions in a single session or in fractional sessions (typically up to five) without harming neighboring healthy tissue or involving traditional surgery.
Novalis Tx shapes the radiation beam to contour the exact shape of the lesion, ensuring delivery of optimal treatment dose and protection of healthy tissue. The targeted beam adapts to the patient’s breathing and other body movements to continuously maintain safe, complete and accurate dosage.
Novalis Tx treats cancerous and non-cancerous conditions of the entire body, such as:
- Acoustic neuromas
- Pituitary adenomas
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
- Brain metastases/Gliomas
- Recurrent brain tumors
- Cavernous angiomas
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Intractable seizures
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spine tumors/metastases
- Prostate cancer/metastases
- Liver tumors/metastases
- Lung tumors/metastases
- Ensures that patients receive the best treatment for their individual case. Other radiosurgery devices are limited to only one treatment modality.
- Delivers a dose rate of 1,000 MU per minute, penetrating deeper to treat tumors previously considered untreatable.
- Offers hope to patients with clinical conditions once considered untreatable, and those for whom surgery is not an option.
- Frameless radiosurgery offers a more patient-friendly alternative to other radiosurgery devices that require immobilization with a head ring that attaches to the skull.